New domain and blog

New domain and blog
Please head over to my new domain to view my blog and current projects

Thursday 3 May 2012

Recipe: Tomato Bredie


One of my favourite meals is tomato bredie (stew). My mom used to make this from time-to-time and I used to love it. When I left home and moved overseas I longed to have a good tomato bredie so got my mom to show me what to do when she came for a visit. This is a perfect dish for any time of the year, but especially in winter to keep warm.

What you will need:

1kg lamb knuckles, stewing lamb, mutton (try not to get too small pieces as they will cook away)

2 onions
1 garlic clove
500ml beef stock
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
60ml tomato paste
4-5 large potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
½ teaspoon chilli powder
Salt and pepper to taste (I add lots of ground black pepper)

What to do:

In a large pot, brown the meat in some more olive oil. Then remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
Chop the onions and garlic and sauté in the same pot until cooked.
Add the tomato paste, chilli, salt and pepper to the stock and stir well.
Peel potatoes and cut into cubes
To the onions, add the meat, stock, chopped tinned tomatoes and potatoes.
Cover and once boiling, turn the heat down low and allow to simmer for about 90min or until the potatoes are soft.

Thicken with some corn floor if you prefer a thicker sauce. (I mix 2 teaspoons of corn floor with some water and add after about 45min)
Serve with white rice or couscous.


Tomato bredie freezes well and normally tastes better the next day once all the flavours have been absorbed into the meat and potatoes.
I hope you enjoy this meal as much as I do.
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment